Aims, Objectives and Values
Aims & Objectives:
Please note as of 30th June 2019 that BCT is no longer able to provide any transport services due to the adoption of EU Reg 1071 /2009 Article 1.4 (b) into UK Law by the Department for Transport on 15th March 2019.
The Statutory Instrument which encapsulates the reinterpretation of the guidelines relating to Section 19 Permits for minibuses, provides several exemptions which sadly failed to prevent small ‘not for profit’ charities from being deemed to be ‘commercial’ and requiring the same licencing regime as large bus companies.
In the opinion of the Trustees, as a ‘not for profit’ charity, BCT never has been, is not now, and never will be remotely comparable to a commercial organisation which undertakes work with a primary purpose of generating sufficient profits for private shareholders.
BCT services are provided to meet the needs of the users, so are not simply determined on the basis of how much profit can be made from groups or individuals who face difficulties in accessing mainstream transport.
As a charity BCT exists to meet the public need and helps to combat isolation and loneliness by supporting and empowering everyone, regardless of their physical, mental or financial disadvantages, to actively participate in a wide range of social and health related activities as valued members of the community.
Sadly this contribution of a genuine community transport to the wellbeing of so many is not sufficiently recognised by the EU Bureaucrats in Brussels or the DfT in the UK.
BCT was a community based organisation, which aimed to:
5.1 Provide safe, accessible and affordable transport for community groups and individuals in Barnet and surrounding areas;
a) Providing directly or facilitating provision of the following:
- Vehicles for individual or group travel at affordable rates
- Door to door transport for those who cannot use public transport
- Accredited training to National Standards for volunteer drivers
- A programme of vehicle maintenance and safety checks to national standards
b) Encouraging the best use of existing community vehicles by co-ordinating and/or facilitating vehicle pooling and sharing.
c) Ensuring that local people and organisations that could benefit, know about BCT’s work.
d) Developing schemes to meet group and individual transport need not currently met by mainstream services.
e) Liaising with, and developing partnerships with, other transport providers, both within the London Borough of Barnet and in neighbouring boroughs, and counties.
f) Taking an active part in the development of a strategic and co-ordinated approach to transport provision.
g) Involving users of services in strategic management and policy development.
h) Publishing an Equal Opportunities Policy and regularly measuring each aspect of management, service operation and delivery against this, as part of an ongoing system of service monitoring.
i) Ensuring up-to-date knowledge of best practice by membership of, and active participation in, the Community Transport Association UK.
j) In every aspect of its management and operation, the organisation will work to adopt and apply principles of Equality of Opportunity.
5.2 To act as a resource for young people providing access to advice and assistance and organising programmes of physical, educational and other activities as a means of:
a) Advancing in life and helping young people by developing their skills, capacities and capabilities to enable them to participate in society as independent, mature and responsible individuals;
b) Advancing education;
c) Relieving unemployment; and
d) Providing access to recreational and leisure-time activity in the interest of social welfare for people living in the area of benefit who have need by reason of their youth, age, infirmity or disability, poverty or social and economic circumstances with a view to improving their conditions of life.
Vision, Mission & Values:
6.1 Vision: A society where people achieve their potential and feel part of a mutually caring community.
6.2 Mission Statement: To be an integral part of the hub that supports and enables people to increase and realise their full potential through the provision of, and access to, a range of educational, information, health, leisure and transport services.
BCT will do this by:
- Providing affordable, safe, accessible transport to the voluntary & community, and statutory sectors; and disadvantaged individuals who are unable to use, or have difficulty in using public transport.
- Providing mobile facilities to support positive creative, play, sport, and other health enhancing activities, encouraging personal development and providing access to information on health, education, employment and recreational activities, to assist young people to raise their expectations and go on to achieve their full potential.
- Respect – for the individual service user, volunteer or staff member
- Fairness – fairness in all aspects of BCT from employment practices, service allocation and volunteering
- Value – value the contributions of staff, volunteers, and users
- Equality – aspects of the local community, addressing inequality
- Integrity – reputation and standing in the local community
- Innovation – positive and ongoing interaction with service users about ideas and aspirations, actively delivering changes.
- Clarity – clear and appropriate dissemination of information
- Stability – retains strong commitment to core aims
6.4 The following services are currently offered:
a) Group Transport. Minibuses: are available for community use at affordable sessional and mileage rates for members of BCT.
b) Provision of MPV for individual outings – A fully accessible small vehicle is available to individuals with mobility needs for outings, family trips, medical needs at an affordable rate.
c) Driver training for volunteers and paid drivers – BCT offers driver training to the national accredited MiDAS (Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme) standard. This safety and skills benefits of this scheme are further reinforced by it being a requirement to have a valid MiDAS certificate to drive BCT vehicles.